Commercial Dive Skipper Endorsement (SAMSA requirements)
- This is a specific and additional endorsement which can be added separately to any national certificates.
- All skippers operating a commercial diving or dive charter vessel are required to have this endorsement added to their Small Vessel Certificate of Competence before SAMSA considers the vessel to be properly and safely manned.
- Candidates or skippers who hold a dive leadership qualification may have the endorsement added to their skipper certification by the Registrar of Seafarers without undergoing any examination.
- If a candidate doesn’t have a diving leadership qualification he or she has to complete an exam for the dive boat skipper endorsement. To be eligible for the exam he or she has to provide proof of the following:
- Open Water Diver qualification with any recognised agency
- Proof of skippering a dive vessel engaged in diving for at least 10 hours