Surf Launching Endorsement (SAMSA requirements)
- The standard national certificate is only intended to cover vessels operating from a port, fishing harbour or protected launch site and certainly does not certify that the holder is competent to tackle the high energy surf and river launches experienced on the south and eastern coastlines of South Africa.
- The purpose of this endorsement is to indicate which skippers have demonstrated their proficiency in this particular and necessary skill.
- There is a huge difference in the skill required to launch a personal water craft (Jet Ski) through the surf, compared to a 9 metre semi rigid vessel. For this reason, it is imperative that the endorsement be carefully worded when issued, to reflect the type of experience the candidate has with regards to surf launching.
- You have to provide a letter from a qualified surf launch skipper, stating that you have completed 12 surf launches on 4 different days in differing surf conditions. (This skipper must have a surf launch endorsement on their skippers licence)
- During your practical exam you are required to demonstrate to the examiner that you are competent to launch through the surf. This practical demonstration will need to be completed on the size vessel that you would like reflected on your licence.
- Please note that if you are doing the surf launch endorsement in the Kowie River Mouth and the river mouth is flat on the day of your licence there is no ways that the examiner can “make an exception” and give you your surf launch endorsement. To overcome this problem some of our examiners may be available at a time different to the stated exam time in the days prior to or after your course to take advantage of the surf conditions. Please contact the office to discuss different options.